(From ‘Soups from a Monastery Kitchen’, Brother Victor-Antoine)
6 tablespoons oil of choice
1 large onion, sliced
8 oz (225g) mushrooms, sliced
2 celery stalks, sliced
2 carrots, sliced
3 pints 8 fl oz (2 litres) water or stock
Salt & pepper to taste
- Wash and thinly slice the vegetables
- Sauté the vegetables in the oil for 2-3 minutes, stirring constantly
- Add the water/stock. Cook slowly in a covered pot over low heat for 30 minutes.
- Add the salt and pepper and chopped parsley.
- Simmer for 10 minutes. Serve hot.