(you need to start this the night before!)
Prep time: 5 mins Cook time: 45 mins Total time: 50 mins
Serves: 1 LOAF
- 3 cups plain flour, plus more for dusting
- ¼ cup freshly grated parmesan + 2 tbsp for topping
- 2 tbsp fresh chopped rosemary
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp active dry yeast
- 1-1/2 cups warm water (45°C)
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, parmesan, rosemary, salt and yeast. Pour in warm water and stir until the mixture becomes a wet and shaggy dough.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and a kitchen towel. Let it rise overnight in a warm room for 12-18 hours. The dough will be bubbly and have doubled in size.
- Place a dutch oven (a lidded metal dish large enough to hold the bread) on the centre rack of your oven and preheat to 230C
- Transfer dough to a large piece of well-floured parchment paper. Sprinkle the dough with a little more flour and fold it over itself once or twice. Shape the dough into a ball and sprinkle with parmesan on top. Cover with plastic wrap and let rest for 30 minutes while the oven heats up.
- Carefully remove the dutch oven from the oven (it’ll be very hot!). Remove the lid and place the dough on the parchment paper in the dutch oven. Sprinkle remaining parmesan on the top of the dough.
- Cover with the lid and place it in the oven. Bake 30 minutes covered and then remove the lid and bake for another 10-15 minutes to get the top of the bread to have a nice golden crust.
- Remove bread to a cooling rack and let it cool before slicing.