sesame honey candy [pasteli]
(Dec 2019 Retreat)
- Yield: approximatley 96 logs
- Prep: approximately 15 to 20 min
A traditional Greek confection, sesame honey logs combine the simplest of ingredients – gently toasted sesame seeds, unrefined sea salt and honey – for natural treat.
- olive oil (for greasing the baking sheet)
- 3 cups hulled sesame seeds
- 1 cup honey
- Sea salt (to taste)
- Generously grease a baking sheet with olive oil and set aside.
- Heat a well-seasoned cast iron frying pan over medium-high flame until it becomes hot to the touch.
- Pour three cups sesame seeds into the hot pan and stir them continuously with wooden spoon until they’re well-toasted and golden-brown in color – about four to six minutes.
- Stir honey and a generous dash of unrefined sea salt into the toasted sesame seeds until they become well-coated and the mixture stiffens.
- Pour the mixture of honey and sesame seeds onto your greased baking sheet and pat down and smooth out the mixture with a wooden spoon.
- Score into pieces of 1/4-inch by 1-inch and set the pan aside until cool enough to handle comfortably.
- When cool to the touch, but still warm enough to be malleable, grease your fingers with olive oil and roll the pieces of honey candy into small small, round logs.
- Allow to cool completely before serving.